Another shot of Hadleigh Corner

Photo:Click on picture for larger version

Click on picture for larger version

Viewed from Castle Lane

By Alan Faux

There is a lot to look at in this busy scene which was probably snapped between 1915 and 1920. The two buses, the one at the rear belonging to Thundersley and Hadleigh Motors, waiting to be loaded, and judging by the basket being carried across the road by a man and a youth, they were going on an outing somewhere. In the left foreground is the Cingalee tea rooms, which we are told was a very popular rendezvous for the locals. Top left is the entry to Rectory Road and the picket fence is an amusing touch.

 F. H. Normans garage is behind a large tree and his newly built bungalow can be clearly seen, although it was in Church Rd. Bottom right is the entrance to Hadleigh Hall with a letter box built in the brick pier. We are looking at all this from Castle Lane, we can see the sign, and the bloodcurdling poster informing us that the wages of sin is death!

On the far side across the road is a Salvation Army notice board advertising a concert of music and song, with somebody named Murray starring apparently. Someone might even know of this person? It really was a far cry from today. 

This page was added by Alan Faux on 09/01/2012.
Add a comment about this page

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.